Under the term "Decentralized Systems and Network Services" we understand distributed and networked technical systems that span over more than one administrative domain. Hence, their operation depends on more than one party. The current focus of our group is on
- Blockchains, broadcast and consensus algorithms and smart contracts
- P2P-networks and Network Monitoring
- Decentralized Messaging at the example of Matrix
- Identity Management and Access Control Systems
- Secure and privacy-aware computing in partially trustworthy environments.
We have has also contributed research for many years in the fields of mobility (connected vehicles, "Car-to-X Communication"), decentral energy systems, and federative identity managment.
Our group designs and analyses techniques with the particular focus on security, performance, and deployability:
- Security: explicit modelling of trust and "tunable security"
- Performance: performance evaluation through discrete event modelling and simulation
- Deployability: deployability is part of the requirement and evaluation
|BlueSky: Combining Task Planning and Activity-Centric Access Control for Assistive Humanoid Robots||
Bayreuther, S.; Jacob, F.; Grotz, M.; Kartmann, R.; Peller-Konrad, F.; Paus, F.; Hartenstein, H.; Asfour, T.
2022. SACMAT ’22: Proceedings of the 27th ACM on Symposium on Access Control Models and TechnologiesJune 2022, New York NY USA, June 8 - 10, 2022. Ed.: S. Dietrich, 185–194, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). doi:10.1145/3532105.3535018
|Decentralized Review and Attestation of Software Attribute Claims||
Stengele, O.; Westermeyer, C.; Hartenstein, H.
2022. IEEE Access. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3185046
|On CRDTs in Byzantine Environments : Conflict Freedom, Equivocation Tolerance, and the Matrix Replicated Data Type||
Jacob, Florian; Bayreuther, Saskia; Hartenstein, Hannes
2022. Sicherheit 2022 : Sicherheit, Schutz und Zuverlässigkeit. Hrsg.: C. Wressnegger, 113–128, Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI)
|Leveraging Distributed Ledger Technology for Decentralized Mobility-as-a-Service Ticket Systems||
Leinweber, Marc; Kannengießer, Niclas; Hartenstein, Hannes; Sunyaev, Ali 2
2022. Towards the New Normal in Mobility. Ed.: H. Proff
|On the Peer Degree Distribution of the Bitcoin P2P Network||
Grundmann, M.; Baumstark, M.; Hartenstein, H.
IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC), 2nd –5th May 2022, Virtual Conference, 1–5, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). doi:10.1109/ICBC54727.2022.9805511
|Short Paper: What Peer Announcements Tell Us About the Size of the Bitcoin P2P Network||
Matthias Grundmann, Hedwig Amberg, Max Baumstark, and Hannes Hartenstein
Financial Cryptography and Data Security 2022 (FC'22)
Security and Anonymity of Blockchain Networks
- Monitoring and experiments in the Bitcoin p2p network: dsn.tm.kit.edu/bitcoin
- Development of simulation models for simulation of the Bitcoin p2p network
- Evaluation of security and performance
Crypto Currencies and Consensus
- Global consensus
- Payment channels and other off-chain techniques
- Game theoretic constructions for security
Modelling of Decentralized Trust
- Trusted execution environments
- Identity and key management
- Privacy and data protection
Network Security Monitoring
- Evaluation of performance
- Threat intelligence management
Simulation and Methods for Simulation
- Development of complex models for simulation
- Analysis of models for simulation
- Simulation methods and optimization
Funded Research Projects
As a research group, we are and were involved in several projects on research, standardisation, and integration. Listed below is an overview of current and finished projects that we are or were a part of.
Hartenstein, Hannes; Westermeyer, Christina; Stengele, Oliver
|JuBot – Young at heart with robots||
Hartenstein, Hannes; Bayreuther, Saskia; Jacob, Florian